Mouth Guards in Coral Springs
What is Bruxism?
Bruxism is the technical term for grinding and clenching that abrades teeth and may cause facial pain. People who grind and clench, called bruxers, unintentionally bite down too hard at inappropriate times, such as in their sleep.
Bruxism is considered both a medical and a dental problem. This is because it affects both the teeth and all of the structure near it, including the head.
Can Bruxism Cause Harm?
People who have otherwise healthy teeth and gums can clench so often and so hard that over time their teeth become sensitive. They experience jaw pain, tense muscles and headaches along with excessive wear on their teeth. Forceful biting when not eating may cause the jaw to move out of proper balance.
What are the Signs?
- Tips of the teeth look flat.
- Teeth are worn down so much that the enamel is rubbed off, exposing the inside of the tooth, which is called dentin.
- When exposed, dentin may become sensitive.
- Bruxers may experience pain in their temporomandibular joint (TMJ)-the jaw-which may manifest itself as popping and clicking.
- Women have a higher prevalence of bruxism possibly because they are more likely to experience tissue alterations in the jaw resulting from clenching and grinding.
- Tongue indentations are another sign of clenching.
Stress and certain personality types are at the root of bruxism. For as long as humankind has existed, bruxism has affected people with nervous tension. Anger, pain and frustration can trigger bruxing. People who are aggressive, competitive and hurried also may be at a greater risk for bruxism.
Schedule a Consultation
Ph: (954) 280-0387
Address: 4651 N. State Road Suite #4, Coral Springs, FL 33067
Treatment for Bruxism
You will be fitted by our dentist with custom Mouth Guards to prevent you from grinding and clenching your teeth. Night mouth guards are bite pads that are worn at night as you sleep. These guards are made of high-grade plastic and should fit the teeth or mouth perfectly. This device keeps the upper teeth from grinding with the lower teeth, offering an instant solution to teeth clenching problems.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment if you are experiencing problems with teeth grinding. Don’t hesitate to contact us to discuss any aspect of your dental health – we don’t charge for giving advice!
Request an Appointment
Monday – Friday: 8:00am – 5:00pm
Saturdays: By Appointments