Gum Disease in Coral Springs
What Is Gum Disease?
Gum disease (also called periodontal disease) is an infection of the tissues surrounding and supporting the teeth. It is a major cause of tooth loss in adults. Because gum disease is usually painless, however, you may not know you have it. Gum disease is caused by plaque, a sticky film of bacteria that constantly forms on the teeth. These bacteria create toxins that can damage the gums.
In the early stage of gum disease, called gingivitis, the gums can become red, swollen and bleed easily. At this stage, the disease is still reversible and can usually be eliminated by daily brushing and flossing.
In the more advanced stages of gum disease, called periodontitis, the gums and bone that support the teeth can become seriously damaged.
Common Signs of Gum Disease
- Red, tender, and swollen gums that bleed during brushing or flossing.
- Constant bad breath or bad taste in your mouth.
- Gum line receding, or gums are pulling away from teeth and forming pockets.
- Changes in your bite or teeth alignment, loose teeth.
Treatment of Gum Disease
Our office uses the following services and technologies to treat gum disease:
COMPUTERIZED CHARTING – Our computer software allows us to measure the depth of the periodontally infected areas as well as the healthy areas. We can compare your readings from one appointment to the next and provide you with a graphic printout so you can see how you are doing and where you can help yourself with better home care. This also allows us to tailor our treatment, specifically for you.
- CAVITRON ULTRASONIC INSTRUMENTATION – We use the most modern ultrasonic equipment available to remove plaque buildup quickly and comfortably.
- SOFT TISSUE THERAPY – Our periodontal therapists have been trained to thoroughly remove the bacteria-ridden plaque and tartar deposits that colonize the roots. This is the key to eliminating periodontal disease.
PERIO PROTECT® – is a comprehensive method that is customized for individual patients to help manage biofilms – communities of bacteria, growing in the spaces or pockets between teeth and gum tissue. The overall goal of the Perio Protect Method™ is to manage oral biofilm (bacteria) with minimally invasive dentistry for lasting oral health.
CAVI-JET – In addition to the traditional polishing or buffing that you are accustomed to, we also utilize an air polishing system (like a mini pressure washer) to remove stains from your teeth.
Schedule a Consultation
Ph: (954) 280-0387
Address: 4651 N. State Road Suite #4, Coral Springs, FL 33067
How Can I Prevent Gum Disease Before it Starts?
Simple, everyday steps can also be taken to avoid gum disease growth, including:
- Brushing and flossing consistently at least twice a day
- Using an antimicrobial mouth rinse daily to help control plaque
- Scheduling regular checkups
Contact us, and let our dental hygienist help you keep your teeth and gums strong and disease-free with regular examinations and cleanings.
Request an Appointment
Monday – Friday: 8:00am – 5:00pm
Saturdays: By Appointments